So it’s Halloween, All Hallow’s Eve, All Saints Eve, Day of the Dead or Fright Night; whatever you call it make sure the only scary thing lurking around your home is the endless stream of trick or treaters.
What to Look Out For
Now we don’t want to frighten you but there’s a sinister silent killer lurking, one that no-one is safe from, you can’t see, smell or taste it and it goes by the name of Carbon Monoxide otherwise known as CO. We have covered a blog about the dangers of carbon monoxide previously, however it is something that is important to us and we really want to raise awareness of. This blog also covers what other haunts to look for throughout your home to keep you safe!
Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide can strike quickly and without warning so it is important to be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning:
Loss of consciousness
There are warning signs to look out for, if you see any or all of these, it’s time to act:
Lazy yellow flames on your gas appliances
Sooty stains on or around your boiler
Turn off the gas supply, open the windows, evacuate the building and phone a
Gas Safe registered heating engineer.
However, don’t give up hope, you CAN protect yourself against its deadly effect this halloween.
Protection Against Carbon Monoxide
We would recommend having your boiler and gas appliances serviced every year by a qualified and Gas Safe Registered engineer, if you live in a rented house or student accommodation (parents take note!) your landlord should arrange this and provide you with a certificate.
For peace of mind, take additional precautions and install a carbon monoxide detector, but make sure it has the British Standard kitemark.
Other Things to Look Out For
There are many other gas and plumbing horrors to look out for throughout your home! These include:
Leaks or drips from the boiler
Boiler making gurgling or banging noises
Leaks or drips, particularly near to electrical fittings
Water bubbling up from sinks and toilets
As well as many more. If you have any questions on any horrors, our team are available to assist you further!
Please take time to watch the video below – it really hits home how serious this can be!